Board elections - Spring 2019
SunCoast Market Co-op is executively managed by an elected Board of Directors. The primary responsibilities of the Board of Directors are to provide overall direction and ensure the long-range security and viability of the Co-op, and to develop policies necessary to carry out the duties of the board and the functions of the cooperative! The directors are elected by our owner-members. We are currently operating with an interim board of volunteers who have been getting things up and running. Now that we have over 250 owner-members, it’s time to elect our first board! Voting closes April 25th.
The terms of election are as follows:
- As a result of the first Board election in 2019, Board Directors will serve one, two or three year terms. Voters will rank candidates, those with the 3 highest rankings serve 3 years, the next highest 2 years, the next highest 1 year.
- Thereafter, Board Directors will be elected for three-year terms, staggered so that only three of the nine positions are up for election each year
Meet Your 2019 Candidates
About our Board Elections
Eligibility and Expectations
Per our Bylaws, a nomination committee will develop the process and materials for each election. Eligibility:
- Member of a household or business/organization that has been a SunCoast owner-member for at least six months prior to date that voting opens
- Only one individual per ownership is eligible to serve on the Board of Directors at a time
- Eighteen years of age or older
- Must be able to use email and Internet for Board communications
- Is committed to a 3 year term
Below are the expectations for anyone running for a board position:
- Candidates must understand the requirements for a Board of Directors position. Once elected, the Board will also elect it’s officers, including President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Position descriptions are available in the Candidate Packet.
- Candidates must agree to and sign the Code of Conduct provided in the Candidate Packet.
- Each candidate is expected to complete the application, including a short personal statement and photo that will be posted on this website for owner-members to view when voting. Applications are due by March 3rd.
- Candidates may receive a call from the nomination committee to discuss their candidacy.
- Each candidate is expected to attend an orientation session on Feb 4th.
- Each candidate is expected to attend at least 1 board meeting prior to election.
- Each candidate will have the opportunity to give a brief statement at the candidate Meet and Greet on April 15th.
Application Process (CLOSED):
- Download candidate packet below
- Review all materials
- Complete and submit application
- Attend a board meeting
- Attend candidate orientation
- Attend Candidate Meet & Greet
2/4 Candidate Packets Available
2/18; 3/18 Attend Board Meeting
2/7 Candidate Orientation
3/3 Applications Due
4/2 Voting Opens
4/15 Candidate Meet and Greet
4/25 Voting Closes
4/26 Count Votes
4/27 Notify Candidate of Results
5/20 Annual Meeting and New Board Announced
6/3 First Meeting/Officer ElectionDownload Candidate Packet Complete Your Application
Voting (NOW OPEN)
All owner-members were sent a newsletter at the end of January (at their address on file) announcing elections. Voting is available by mail, in person, and online.
4/2 Voting Opened
4/15 Candidate Meet and Greet Open Board Meeting
4/25 Voting Closed
4/26 Count Votes
5/20 Annual Meeting and New Board AnnouncedUpdate your address