Board elections - Spring 2023
SunCoast Market Co-op is executively managed by an elected Board of Directors. The primary responsibilities of the Board of Directors are to provide overall direction and ensure the long-range security and viability of the Co-op, and to develop policies necessary to carry out the duties of the board and the functions of the cooperative! The directors are elected from and by our owner-members. Each year there are at least 3 board seats open for election. Applications from interested candidates are due by April 28, 2023. Current election voting opens May 13 and ends June 3.
The terms of election are as follows:
- Board Directors will be elected for three-year terms.
- Three board seats will be up for election each year.
- When a seat is vacant, additional board seats may be up for election.
Robyn Lanatte Owner #6
Hi I’ve been here from the beginning because I wanted to have healthy food that I didn’t have to go so far from home to get. I was the Food Service Director at Camp Surf, I left in 2012. I was so used to feeding the kids healthy food but we got it from vendors. I feel that everyone, children and adults, have the right to have good food. So I am working with the Board to give our community what they need for everyone in San Diego, we have worked so hard to get the word out even our wonderful Farmers Market and working with the City of Imperial Beach, it has been wonderful for me over the years I’ve been doing this. I have learned so much. I’ll keep working hard for our community thank you so much.
I can help with my knowledge of food. I can volunteer where ever you need me. I love people and our community.
I’ve been on the Board since the beginning.
Peggy Keating Owner #114
Michael Shank Owner #180
About our Board Elections
Eligibility and Expectations
Per our Bylaws, a nomination committee will develop the process and materials for each election. Eligibility:
- Member of a household or business/organization that has been a SunCoast owner-member for at least six months prior to date that voting opens
- Only one individual per ownership is eligible to serve on the Board of Directors at a time
- Eighteen years of age or older
- Must be able to use email, Internet, and basic technologies for Board communications
- Is committed to a 3 year term
Below are the expectations for anyone running for a board position:
- Please be aware that this is a very busy season for SunCoast. We are a working board (meaning we act as both staff and directors) so you should be prepared to dedicate an average of 5 hours per week or more to attend meetings, participate in committee work or special projects, and attend trainings. There are also urgent tasks that require prompt response times.
- Candidates must understand the requirements for a Board of Directors position. Once elected, the Board will also elect officers, including President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Position descriptions are available in the Candidate Packet.
- Candidates must agree to and sign the Code of Conduct provided in the Candidate Packet.
- Each candidate is expected to complete the application, including a short personal statement and photo that will be posted on this website for owner-members to view when voting.
- Candidates may receive a call from the nomination committee to discuss their candidacy.
- Each candidate is expected to attend at least 1 board meeting prior to election.
Think you’d be a valuable addition to the board? Consider running for a seat in the election!
- Download candidate packet below
- Review all materials
- Complete and submit application
- Attend a board meeting
- Complete an introductory call with the Elections Nomination Committee
- An interview may be requested
Interested in being more involved but not in a board position? Consider joining a committee and attend our monthly board meetings.Download Candidate Packet Complete Your Application
All owner-members were sent an email (at their email address on file) announcing elections. Voting is available by mail and online. Please note: if you unsubscribed from our mailing list, you are missing important owner information. Please re-subscribe yourself here.
If you need to vote by mail, please email firstname.lastname@example.orgUpdate your address