Board elections - Spring 2022
SunCoast Market Co-op is executively managed by an elected Board of Directors. The primary responsibilities of the Board of Directors are to provide overall direction and ensure the long-range security and viability of the Co-op, and to develop policies necessary to carry out the duties of the board and the functions of the cooperative! The directors are elected from and by our owner-members. Each year there are at least 3 board seats open for election. Applications from interested candidates are due by March 11, 2022. Current election voting opens April 1 and ends April 22.
The terms of election are as follows:
- Board Directors will be elected for three-year terms.
- Three board seats will be up for election each year.
- When a seat is vacant, additional board seats may be up for election.
Kim Rivero Frink, Board President
I am retired from the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency where I enjoyed a 17-year career working in programs that promote the health and well-being of children and families. After retiring from the County, I also worked as a grant writer for a local nonprofit. I am a native Californian, have lived in San Diego County since 1984, and moved to Imperial Beach in 2012. I feel extremely lucky to live in Imperial Beach – it’s a great place to live filled with wonderful people. I volunteer much of my time to promoting health, community engagement, and opportunity for Imperial Beach residents. In addition to serving as the current Board President for SunCoast Market Co-op, I am active in the I.B. Collaborative, I.B. Chamber of Commerce, and the Live Well San Diego South Region Leadership Team. I have a bachelor’s degree in psychology from UC Santa Cruz and a master’s in public administration from San Diego State University (SDSU). In 2018, I was honored to be recognized as one of 50 distinguished alumni during SDSU’s School of Public Affairs 50th anniversary celebration.
Shannon ratliff, board vice president
I was born and raised in the mid-west, the land of grocery co-ops! My husband, our two kids, and our dogs all love this tight knit beach community and the happy and active vibe. My professional background is in healthy living and health promotion, I have a Masters degree in Health Psychology and am a certified aromatherapist. I am a strong advocate for less chemicals in our foods and products, and would love better access to local and organic foods for my family. That is why I joined SunCoast right away. I’m excited to help bring SunCoast Market to life because co-ops offer such a unique and community-focused shopping experience. It’s like nothing you’ve experienced in most stores. Imperial Beach is the perfect place for a locals focused store!
Shirley Soth, Board Treasurer
Jarrod Groves, owner
About our Board Elections
Eligibility and Expectations
Per our Bylaws, a nomination committee will develop the process and materials for each election. Eligibility:
- Member of a household or business/organization that has been a SunCoast owner-member for at least six months prior to date that voting opens
- Only one individual per ownership is eligible to serve on the Board of Directors at a time
- Eighteen years of age or older
- Must be able to use email, Internet, and basic technologies for Board communications
- Is committed to a 3 year term
Below are the expectations for anyone running for a board position:
- Candidates must understand the requirements for a Board of Directors position. Once elected, the Board will also elect officers, including President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Position descriptions are available in the Candidate Packet.
- Candidates must agree to and sign the Code of Conduct provided in the Candidate Packet.
- Each candidate is expected to complete the application, including a short personal statement and photo that will be posted on this website for owner-members to view when voting.
- Candidates may receive a call from the nomination committee to discuss their candidacy.
- Each candidate is expected to attend at least 1 board meeting prior to election.
Think you’d be a valuable addition to the board? Consider running for a seat in the election!
- Download candidate packet below
- Review all materials
- Complete and submit application
- Attend a board meeting
- Complete an introductory call with the Elections Nomination Committee
- An interview may be requested
Interested in being more involved but not in a board position? Consider joining a committee and attend our monthly board meetings.Download Candidate Packet Complete Your Application
All owner-members were sent an email (at their email address on file) announcing elections. Voting is available by mail and online. Please note: if you unsubscribed from our mailing list, you are missing important owner information. Please re-subscribe yourself here.
If you need to vote by mail, please email email@example.comUpdate your address